1) What is your photography site, blog url , and any other sites you own that you’d like to share with us?
Main site – www.purepose.com.au/welcome
Blog – www.purepose.com.au
Facebook – www.facebook.com/pureposephotography
Insta – https://instagram.com/pureposephotography/
2) What sparked your interest in the photography world, and when did you start first professionally shooting clients?
When I had my son in 2010, I was feeling nostalgic (as you do when you have a baby) and was looking back at photos of my daughter (born in 2008). I was horrified at the lack of quality photos I had of her! The majority of my photos were blurry, under or over exposed, poorly lit, or my baby was pulling the most unattractive and unflattering face. And worse yet, because I had no quality memories (and my own memory is shocking) I started to forget the beautiful little features that made her! I vowed I wouldn’t tolerate it any further, and my hubby bought me my first SLR for Christmas. Bless him. He had no idea what he had started!
My good friends asked if I could take some photos of their new baby girl and they popped them on Facebook. Then another friend asked, and another. I was so happy to oblige because I instantly fell in love my with my camera and everything photography. After studying, reading and practicing/shooting every waking hour of my life, I officially opened my business 1 year later.
I am located on the Sunny Gold Coast in Qld, Australia where we are 20 minutes from the most stunning beaches and just a short drive to the hinterland. My Husband and I own a beautiful small acreage property where we are currently building our dream home (and studio)!
3) And we have to ask, our typical question…… WHAT DO YOU SHOT WITH, and what is your favorite lens?
I’m not a complicated girl. And I don’t use much fancy equipment! I love my Canon 5D mkiii and I tend to stick with my favorite lenses. I mostly use my 24-70mm for newborns for the variety it can give me, but occasionally I pick up my 50mm 1.4 just for kicks. I always always use my 70-200 for outdoor shoots, and my 100mm macro comes out at every newborn session.
I shoot with a combination of natural light and studio light. I mostly use my strobes for newborn photography because I ADORE the consistency it gives! But I do love shooting natural light for maternity sessions!
4) Let’s have fun… any extraordinary talent, or obsession, that you’d like to share with us? IE: can you touch your tongue to your nose, or do you snowboard, maybe run marathons or like to mow the lawn in your bikini ?
My kids think I’m pretty cool because I cut their school sandwiches into fun shapes… does that count? Haha.
I’m pretty sure my legacy will be my crazy hair! Its long and insanely thick and curly. I have it permanently straightened every few months… which I then need to straighten again… so I can curl it…
5) Now this will be fun, seeing that you have worked with so many amazing vendors that we love & adore as well… it will be a hard one for you, but do you think you can give us a TOP 5 list of prop shops that you love “GO TO”? Please share (and include url)… in no order:
Being an Aussie… and a fairly impatient one at that, I love to use Aussie vendors.
Miches Knits and Crotchet – http://michesknitsandcrochet.com/
Wintertwine – http://www.wintertwine.com/
Princess and the Pea Props – http://www.princessandthepeaprops.com/
Emme Collection – https://www.etsy.com/shop/EmmeCollectionProps
Lush Newborn Photography Props – https://www.facebook.com/lushphotographyprops
Divine Miss Ruby Designs – http://www.divinemissrubydesigns.com/
And of course JD Vintage Props where I got my wooden bowl (which I’m sure I use for every second session) and my beautiful scroll bed! – jdvintageprops.com
Very occasionally I get my sew on, and whip up something myself, but mostly I leave it to the professionals.
6) Do you shoot on location, or do you have a studio that you work out of?
I have a studio that is currently under construction and I am positively DYING to get in there! Its going to be beautiful once we’ve finished it – it will be a place of calm and relaxation and most importantly it will be a place where amazing memories are made. It will be full of colour and I’ll finally be able to have all my props on display so I can reach them easily when I need them!
Right now, I’m ‘in between’. We had to sell my old stunning studio to build the new one. ‘In-between’ is a room at the front of my house. It works for everything I need it to work for, but ‘move in day’ can’t come soon enough!
7) Do you use actions (have a favorite?), or do you process on your own? We’d love to hear about your #1 processing technique that you seem to use on every edit.
I have my own action that I run on Every. Single. Newborn. Image! Its my perfect little combo of edits that I know I will do on pretty much every photo.
It only contains one action that I purchased, which is Son Kissed Photography’s Purple Hand and Foot Action. The Action is so quick and simple, and gets the exact results that I want, so instead of painstakingly doing my own purple/red removal, I mentally thank Kristen each time I hit the ‘play’ button.
8) Share with us your ALL TIME #1 FAVORITE image in your portfolio
My own Josie is by far my all time favourite! Is it possible its because I’m biased? Noooo, I really do love this photo! It depicts so much about how I felt to be having her (Magic!!) My Josie was the WORST newborn model you could have asked for! She was a little terror in the studio, and I didn’t get any of the photos I had planned for my entire pregnancy, so to have created this with her, was really something marvelous for me.
9) Do you have any other photography based adventures planned for the near future? For instance, your mentoring.. w’ed LOVE to hear more!
The new studio is consuming me right now! I’ve spent hours designing it and dreaming about what it will be when I move in! Until then, I’m busy stocking up on props to fill it with!
And of course, coming into Summer in Australia, I’m dying to photograph some more outdoor newborns! The weather is ideal for it here in Qld and parents tend to love it!
I have people ask me often if I will mentor, but I actually have no intention of mentoring (at least, for now). I think I am the worst teacher EV-ER, and I feel that I learn something new from each session I have, so for now, I’m content just shooting for my clients.
10) Any fabulous formative info you can “share” with fellow photographers ? Just starting out or seasoned professionals… we could always use inspiration… so we’d love a “pep talk” !
Spend the time building up your skills and learning your craft and don’t sell yourself for peanuts! I’ve spent more time reading, researching, practicing and making mistakes in my photography career than I ever spent at university (woops). We all must start our journey somewhere, but in the beginning I missed lots of my family because I was burning myself out by shooting every man and his dog, for next to nothing.
Understand your worth and believe in yourself and your talent!