Here is a super fun little follow up interview, to last weeks session share with
Photography by mj. LLC!
Enjoy… these images are stunning and super fun.
1) What is your photography site, blog url , and any other sites you own that you’d like to share with us?
Main site: photographybymjllc.com
Twitter: WHAT’S THAT?? lol
2) What sparked your interest in the photography world, and when did you start first professionally shooting clients? Plus, where are you located?
It all started for me when my youngest was about 6 months old… I bought my first DSLR… I had NO CLUE what to do with it! I shot on auto (the horror!) for a while, but when I would post pics of the kids on FB, people would tell me I had a good eye and that I should carry on.. so I did….. I immersed myself in everything photography! SOME photographers were willing to help.. others.. not so much I was criticized and beat down.. but I kept on dreaming. I started shooting in manual mode and just shot EVERYTHING in sight! I am SO glad I did not stop dreaming for those who did not believe in me. For that, I try to pay it forward to other newbie photogs
I shot for a good solid year before I ever collected money from anyone. I did all sorts of free sessions for portfolio building. I remember my first paying client still. I was a nervous wreck!
And oh yea… I’m in the 757… Chesapeake, VA- right outside of Virginia Beach
3) And we have to ask, our typical question…… WHAT DO YOU SHOT WITH, and what is your favorite lens?
Talking gear: have 3 camera bodies. ALL CANON, baby!!! I have a 5D MarkIII and a Mark II and I have a 50D that I use as backup to my backup, lol My FAVORITE lens that is almost ALWAYS on my camera in my 70-200mm L 2.8 I LOVE it!!!!! Use it at EVERY session, except for newborn. For newborn it’s my 50mm 1.4.
4) Let’s have fun… any extraordinary talent, or obsession, that you’d like to share with us? IE: can you touch your tongue to your nose, or do you snowboard, maybe run marathons or like to mow the lawn in your bikini ?
Who doesn’t cut their grass in their bikini??!!! lol
Funny question bc I was just sharing that at the age of 36 I can still do the splits.. my friend freaked when she heard this news. I’ve practiced Yoga for years, so I keep that flexibility. And… this is dead sexy.. I am severely double jointed in my arms.. I can just about turn them 360 degrees without moving my palm from the table.. told you… sexy….
But seriously… I’m getting ready to cut my grass in my bikini
5) Now this will be fun, seeing that you have worked with so many amazing vendors that we love & adore as well… it will be a hard one for you, but do you think you can give us a TOP 5 list of prop shops that you love “GO TO”? Please share (and include url)… in no order:
1. My Little Loopy Monsters- she makes MOST of my newborn stuff!!! https://www.facebook.com/pages/My-Loopy-Lil-Monsters-Photography-Props
2. Snap Happy Boutique… a lot of newborn props come from her… I’ve bought from her for years and her props have grown so much https://www.facebook.com/snaphappyboutiqueprops
3. Fancy Fabric- For maternity gowns and fabric. I only buy theirs for newborn sessions. https://www.facebook.com/FancyFabric
4. Roses and Ruffles- Love their Maternity gowns too https://www.facebook.com/RosesAndRuffles
5. Swaddle Me Baby- LOVE her wraps!! https://www.facebook.com/swaddlemebaby
6) Do you shoot on location, or do you have a studio that you work out of?
I shoot newborns in my home studio Wait.. can I say that?? 😉
All other sessions are done outdoors. I sometimes do maternity in studio… which I LOVE, but other than that… we are outside!!!
7) Do you use actions (have a favorite?), or do you process on your own? We’d love to hear about your #1 processing technique that you seem to use on every edit.
I’m a little of both these days.. I used to NEVER use actions, but now I like using them for CERTAIN images… for newborn, I do not use actions. I like them to be real and timeless.
I have special sessions that I call Into the Woods… these are an artistic approach and I do use actions and sometimes even overlays Paint the moon and Greater than Gatsby offer some great actions
8) Share with us your ALL TIME #1 FAVORITE image in your portfolio.
Oh wow! that’s tough… all time… I don’t know… I JUST did this one recently. This is SUPPOSED to looked edited and dramatic. While I do natural images.. there is just something about this one. It looks more like a painting to me, and that is what art is, to me… taking a plain image and being able to create in post processing is HUGE.. with the right image
9) Do you have any other photography based adventures planned for the near future? For instance, your mentoring.. w’ed LOVE to hear more!
I do offer mentoring I’d love to do small group mentoring for newborns. So far it’s just been a handful of one-on-one mentoring, and I’ve made some wonderful life-long photog friends doing it If any togs are interested in newborn mentoring, you can always email me for info!!
10) Any fabulous formative info you can “share” with fellow photographers ? Just starting out or seasoned professionals… we could always use inspiration… so we’d love a “pep talk” !
For me… I TRULY follow my motto: “Do what you love, and you’ll never work a day in your life.” I was MEANT to do this. I can feel it in my bones. It took a while to figure out my style and my likes/dislikes…. if you’re just starting out.. HANG IN THERE… just keep shooting what makes YOU happy. If you don’t LOVE it.. drop it and shoot until you find what you LOVE… what makes YOU tick? I never want this to feel like “work”. I mean, of course I have days where it’s so much “office work” so it DOES feel like work, but when I start creating, I become ALIVE like never before and it makes it all worth it. Love what you do